Some specialty vehicles — including ambulances and fire trucks — are everyday sights on local roadways. Others, such as mobile emergency response vehicles appear following natural disasters and help communities recover.
Examples of services specialty vehicles may house include:
- Clinics for medical, mental and veterinary services
- Command centers for law enforcement and medical triage
- Flood and mudslide rescue in high-water trucks
- Mobile hubs for Internet communication
- Resource offices for displaced residents and businesses
Emergency response teams deploy many kinds of specialty vehicles during and following natural disasters. In 2017 alone, such events included three hurricanes along the Gulf Coast and in the Caribbean, massive wildfires in northern California, and mudslides in southern California following wildfires.